Welcome to my blog

If you enjoy finding a lot of different outlets for your creativity, then we may just be kindred spirits.
This blog is an outlet for my interest in miniatures, crochet, plastic canvas, and many other various arts and crafts.

I also love walking, taking digital photos, and most recently, have rediscovered an old love...bike riding! I purchased an amazing new bike, a comfy Townie by Electra this summer, and have been having a grand time exploring the area as though for the first time. It's like being a kid again!

If you enjoy any of these things too, pour a cup of coffee and tea, sit down, and join me.


Take care!
Kat

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

New Bin Cage for Chunkers the Hamster!


New Bin Cage Playground for Chunkers

Hi guys!

So, a few days ago I adopted a cute little hamster from our local Humane Society.  He came with a double decker cage, which is nice, but too small for a Syrian Hamster.  He didn't have much room at all, and I felt bad for him so went to the Home Depot and bought their biggest clear bin (100L size), and some wire mesh. 

Shopping for bin cage supplies at Home Depot

I asked the nice men at Home Depot, Rocco and Steve,  to cut a big rectangular shape in the bin's lid, and said I'd be happy to pay for the service.  They used a jigsaw to cut the rectangle, and did a great job, and were kind enough to do it for free!

The bin cost $16.00, and the wire mesh was $13.00.  I stopped at the dollar store on the way home and bought some zip ties for a dollar. Total cost of the bin cage play ground: $30.00.  It would have cost more than triple the price to get an aquarium or terrarium as big as the bin, plus it would have been a lot heavier to lift for cleaning.

I don't have pictures of the next steps, but once home, I cut out a rectangle of wire mesh to fit over the hole in the lid with some room to spare. I also cut an opening for the tunnel tube things through the mesh, so that I could connect the playpen bin with the cage, using tubes. 

  Then my Dad drilled holes around the rectangular opening and I secured the mesh onto the lid with zip ties.  There are loads of great Youtube videos that show how to do this.

 If the drill wasn't so big and heavy, I could have done it myself, but I am not strong enough to hold my Dad's big drill with one hand so he did it for me.  I have a a smaller rotary tool that I could have used but don't have a drill bit for it.  I forgot to buy one.

Before I attached the bin cage to the wire cage, I put the entire wire cage in the bin and opened one of the tunnel holes to allow Chunkers to explore yet still have a way to retreat back into his cage if he was scared.  I introduced him to his new wheel, which he loved.  It was a shame that he didn't have one, as hamsters really love them.


Chunkers' new wheel

Chunkers' new hamster house
 I also introduced him to a new hamster house, in the shape of a tree stump.

Chunkers' new puzzle playground

 I also bought him this puzzle playground.  I wondered why it was called a puzzle playground...well, it's because the puzzle is for us, not the hamsters. It came in a zillion pieces and was super hard to put together.  He loves it though; it's his favourite new thing, so totally worth it.
Chunkers loves his puzzle playground

Peekaboo hamster
I let him have 2 days to get used to the bin before I set it all up.  I needn't have bothered, as he's not shy at all, and is super curious.  So curious that he went down the connecting tunnel tube to the his new playground even before it was connected; I was just holding it in place, lol. 
Chunkers and the walnut, lol
 He explored everything, and had a grand old time. 
Bin Cage Playground
I added a huge 12" flying saucer wheel, which he loves, an edible hut, a carrot chew toy, a willow twig ball, and a wooden box.  I wedged the puzzle plaground into the box to give it more stability, and hid a hamster litter box inside the box. 
Chunkers in his new flying saucer spinner
Chunkers is a very happy hamster, and he totally investigated each and every item in his new playground.  

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Your cage is awesome! Chunkers is a very lucky hamster. Im just wondering what size your ordinary wheel is? The flying saucer is 12", which is the perfect size for a Syrian. The ordinary wheel should be aswell! If it is, then :P my bad! Sorry if im bothering you! Your cage is AWESOME though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, you're right. I bought Chunkers a new, bigger wheel...and the humane society was wrong, Chunkers was female. I'm sorry I didn't see your comment until today. I usually get email notifications and they stopped coming and I just assumed I wasn't getting any comments. Today I double checked and have spent the past hour answering all the comments I missed; yikes.

      Delete
  2. Hey, I just wanted to compliment you on such a stellar, creative job. I've been scouring the internet looking for inspiration for what to do with my double decker cage, exactly the one that you started with. I have a Syrian hamster and I just feel so bad for him because of the space. But I didn't want to get rid of his cage so I was looking for a way to incorporate it with a bin, and voila! I found your site and I'm going to copy yours exactly! Thank you for the idea and step by step directions :-) and I'm sure my hamster thanks you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope your hammy loves his new playpen as much as mine did. I'm sorry I didn't see your comment until today; blogger stopped sending me email notifications when I had comments and I didn't realize I had any.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete